Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs? Everything You Need to Know!

Monsteras, or Swiss Cheese plants, are popular houseplants because of their attractive foliage. But are monsteras toxic to dogs? The answer is not entirely clear, but there are some indications that they might be not so good. In this blog, we’ll check out the evidence and chat about what you should do if your pooch has chomped on a Monstera.

Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs?

Sadly, the answer is yes. If your fur buddy eats or chews on it, the fruit and leaves of a Monstera can be really risky for their health. The danger’s all about the calcium oxalate crystals that are in the plant’s fleshy bits. These crystals hurt and damage the mouth, esophagus, tongue, and throat of a dog once they rub against them. You gotta look out for stuff like lots of drool, puking, having a hard time swallowing, and diarrhea.

If you suspect that your pet may have gotten into your monstera plant it is best to take them to the vet for evaluation as soon as possible. 

What happens when a dog consumes a Monstera leaf?

If your dog snacks on a Monstera leaf, they will quickly feel pain in their mouth and on their lips. They might puke, and there could be swelling of the mouth and esophagus, which can make swallowing and eating hard.

Your dog will show the following signs when eating any ingredient of Monstera:

  • Lips, mouth, and/or tongue stinging
  • Itching on their lips, tongue, mouth, and even throat
  • Drooling a lot
  • Having a hard time swallowing
  • Pawing or rubbing their lips
  • Puking

Bigger issues that could be super serious can happen if the dog eats lots of Monstera. This includes kidney and liver failure, as well as being unconscious and death.

Luckily, most dogs don’t chow down on that much Monstera to lead to really bad health problems, special circumstances can still happen.

Are Monstera toxic to dogs

Will Monstera make my dog die?

Poisoning from Monstera can be lethal if your dog swallows a big amount of the plant.

Luckily, most times it’s not fatal, partly because the plant tastes icky, keeping dogs from eating more. Most dogs who chew on the Monstera plant recover completely.

That doesn’t mean you should ignore it if you find your dog chewing on a Monstera plant. If your dog has eaten any amount of the Monstera plant, it’s best to contact poison control or your vet. As with any health concern, it’s better to err on the side of caution because the plant can be fatal.

It’s a good idea to take your dog to the vet just in case because they can help treat any possible signs that your dog is feeling. While you might not want to spend the extra cash on a vet appointment, you could end up with a much bigger bill if you wait until things get real bad.

Related: Are Monstera toxic to Cats? Handle when cats eat them

How long do Monstera poisoning symptoms last in dogs?

Monstera poisoning can cause side effects that last for several days or even weeks. Just remember though, this can change based on how much of the plant your dog munches and their size. Side effects should start to go away within 48 hours in most cases.

Because side effects change a lot, you should keep a close eye on your dog. Remember when they last ate, drank, and peed or pooped. If they haven’t done any of these in more than 24 hours, ring up an emergency vet right away.

My dog ate Monstera plant

What should do if the dog ate a Monstera plant?

Because the effects of Monstera poisoning might show up immediately or over time, you gotta take your dog to the vet ASAP. Since it’s tricky to know how much of the plant your dog ate, you gotta treat this like an emergency.

How long symptoms last can change a lot based on many things, like how much of the plant was eaten and how big your dog is. In most cases, symptoms get better in 2 to 3 days, but some can last for several weeks. Taking your dog to the vet as a precaution can help make sure they get the help they need right away.

Similarly, if your dog hasn’t eaten, drank, or gone to the potty in more than 24 hours, take ’em to a vet pronto. Not drinking or going to the potty is a sign that something’s really wrong with your pup.

Keeping Your Dog From Eating Your Monstera Plant

If you’ve got a dog, it can be tough to stop ’em from eating your Monstera plant. Dogs naturally wanna chew on things, and sometimes this includes houseplants. Lucky for you, there are a few tricks you can use to keep your Monstera plant safe from your dog’s appetite.

  • Keep the Monstera out of reach: The easiest way to keep your dog from eating your Monstera is to move it somewhere they can’t get to, either way up high on a shelf or table, or in another room your dog can’t get into.
  • Create a physical barrier.: If the Monstera needs to stay in an area your dog can get to, you can put up a barrier, like a dog gate or fence, to stop them from getting to it.
  • Use bitter sprays and deterrents: If the Monstera plant is where your dog can get to it, try using bitter sprays and other dog turn-offs that taste and smell bad to stop your dog from eating it.
  • Monitor your dog carefully: Even if these tricks work to keep your dog away from the Monstera plant, you need to watch them and make sure they aren’t trying to get at it when you’re in the same room.

Don’t forget, any dog can want to chew on or eat plants, so you gotta be on the ball, watching your dog and doing what you can to stop them. With some work and patience, you can keep your Monstera plant safe from your dog!


Are Monsteras toxic to dogs? Yes, Monsteras are indeed toxic to dogs.

The plant’s got calcium oxalate crystals that can hurt them if eaten. If you think your dog ate a Monstera plant, you need to take them to the vet right away. By keeping the plant out of your dog’s reach and using dog turn-offs, you can keep your Monstera plant safe from your dog. With some effort and staying alert, you can make sure your dog and Monstera are both okay!

Ever had a problem with your pet munching on any houseplants? Let FamiPlants know in the comments below.

Hi, I'm Cathleen Clemens. I graduated from Cornell University with a degree in plant science. I gained detailed knowledge about various kinds of plants and how to properly care for them. My experience has enabled me to easily detect any issues such as pest infestations, nutrient deficiencies, or signs of diseases in the plants.

Leave a Comment